I've come to the realization that my young women leaders were right. Not in every aspect, as I still think wearing chiffon sleeves that show your underwear is tacky, but when they told me that no one has a perfect life, they were right. It took me fifteen years to believe them, but here I am; I have arrived at the realization that I wish I were me, and no one else.
In college, I went to nursing school with a pretty special group of (mostly) girls. They were talented, funny, cute, and of course, smart. I was awkward, boisterous (to say the least) but pretty good looking (if I do say so myself). But there was one girl who I wanted to be. Despite my young women leaders warnings, I so wanted to be her. She was tall, thin, SO thin and I knew she didn't have to work to be thin. She was SO smart, and full of laughter, fun, and sparkle. Her eyes were full of light, and she captivated every room she walked into. Seriously we all flocked around her, and her laugh was so contagious, I can still hear it clearly, and I graduated in 1999. I basked in her company when I could, and managed to make it through school as myself, captured a wonderful husband, and began on my own.
Four boys and ten years later, I found myself wondering why I had to be me. So many days are full of dishes, (both dirty AND broken), band-aids, crying, decisions (I HATE decisions), frustration, more decisions, vacuuming, broken crayons in the dryer, explosive sneezes (streams from both nostrils), bum-wiping, light sabers, man-made spiderwebs in the yard (climbing rope goes a long way) and a daily quota of quarreling and wrestling. We began to build a house and being one who hates decisions (I usually put them off until it's so late that one of my options has been eliminated so I don't have a choice anymore) I began to be a woman I refer to as "grouchy mom." I told my kids that "Grouchy Mom" comes out after 8 pm so if they don't want to see her, they'd better be gone before then. Some days, she arrived earlier, especially on days with too much sugar, or where the weather didn't allow any outside playtime.
Grouchy mom became intertwined with me for more time than she should have, and I found myself wishing for a break, and looking at others around me, wondering why they all seemed to have a better life than I was living. I saw a picture of my friend from nursing school. She was featured in the Friend magazine. Her dad had just been called to be a General Authority, and the family photo was included in his introduction page. She looked just as beautiful and amazing as ever, and it looked like at least two of the boys in the photo belonged to her, maybe three. I thought to myself that it would be funny if we both had boys, but she looked so put together, I was sure she was a better mom than I was. Better mom, better student, better person. Well, I was right. We got together at a dinner gathering. I have no doubts that she is a better person than I am. And she does have it all. She has cancer.
Alisa, my dear dear friend, if you're reading this, I hope that it doesn't make you upset. But I want you to know, that watching the way you live your life has made me want to live mine better. I don't know if you would want to trade places with me, but I doubt it. I think that I am just a little slow in learning that life is best lived if you live where you were placed in it. And where we were placed, all of us, is pretty dam good. I wish I were me.
8 comments:
Wow Aneesa. What a wonderful message. I hope you know how glad I am that you are you! You have been an incredible friend. Just so you know, you are one of the ladies I look up to. You are one of the people that I think can do anything prefectly. I'm glad you are happy to be you. That aspect of life has taken me awhile too, but it's great to finally get there, isn't it? I wish the best for your friend.
I wondered if you meant to mispell damn? Or maybe you meant something that retains water? Perhaps you don't use that word enough! :) I loved reading your essay. It really summed up your last year. Isn't it great to have experiences in our life that put in perspective how wonderful our own lives are, and how kind our Heavenly Father is to us in how he chooses to bless us. I have a feeling though that your friend and her family may end up seeing her struggle as a blessing in their lives someday too. Our trials tend to reveal our true natures and our strengths. Also, sometimes our most humorous moments erupt from struggling through those generally uncomfortable times in life. Those moments are the memories in life that I cherish and hope that I learned everything that I was meant to learn during that chapter in life. I am sure you will look back at the past year sometime in the future with fond memories of dealing with the tile guy, the fallen tresses, and the ceiling fans that were almost yours. And think of all that wonderful quality time with your family (the fireplace, etc) I'll talk later. Jen
Thanks you guys! For clarification, I DID mean to spell D-A-M because on my friend Alisa's blog, she was lamenting how she wished she could swear, and her dear grandpa told her it was okay, as long as it was a body of water. So it was kind of a play on that. Maran, you are too sweet, and Jenifer, I still don't know if I will EVER have fond memories of the tile guy! :-) Thanks for your thoughts!
aneesa
Ditto--Ditto--Ditto
Aneesa, it's been years since I've seen or talked to you, but I still remember our times of rooming together and thinking about how amazing you were as a nursing student! And as an individual. You have touched my life forever! Write me sometime. love you.
Cute blog Aneesa! Love the birthday hat. You've inspired me to make one for the big day tomorrow....
Glad you liked the PB bars. That was so embarassing! I wont forget again!
I found you because a long time ago you sent me the link to your blog and I finally am in the "blogging scene" now; well sort of, and so have been randomly checking yours!!! It's fun to see the adventures of Aneesa and her boys!
Aneesa,
What a beautiful blog. You said it pretty well! I think you are great and leave many admiring you. Keep up the mothering work!
Post a Comment